Dear HGSD Parents, Staff and Community, April 3rd, 2020
As we settle into a new normal, I hope this letter finds all of you adjusting well as our second week of virtual learning concludes. More importantly, I hope all of you are staying healthy and safe.
I want to continue to keep you as informed as possible as we navigate this challenging time. I will continue to provide weekly updates and share as much information as I have.
- This week I received information from the Department of Public Instruction State Superintendent Taylor. In her communication she stated, “I wish I could assure you of a certain date schools will reopen, but the situation continues to evolve. In the absence of certainty around school reopening, I encourage you to do long-range planning as if students will not be back in school for the rest of this school year.” We have started planning for this, things such as grading, graduation, etc. I will continue to keep you informed as we move forward.
- Next week is Spring Break (April 6th – April 10th). We do not have expectations that virtual learning will continue next week as teachers will also be on break. Students are welcome to continue to complete work should they choose to. Virtual learning will resume on April 13th. While I can’t encourage you to travel during Spring Break, I do hope all of you will take the opportunity to step away from your computer and take a break.
- During the week of Spring Break we will continue to provide Free Bag lunches at the High School for any individual who is 18 years old or under, from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm. We will be open on MONDAY and WEDNESDAY for pick up. On Monday please pick up lunches for 2 days, and on Wednesday please pick up lunches for 3 days. There will be no pickups on Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday.
- If anyone is in need of additional food, there are boxes of food items for families available during the lunch pick-up times. We have about 5 boxes that are available daily. Please take them if you need them.
- I want to remind you that this closure is about social distancing and stopping the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Please refrain from coordinating play dates and social gatherings. It is predicted that the next two weeks will be critical in the social distancing efforts. Please follow the state and county guidelines during this challenging time.
Please continue to connect with your child’s teacher. Please continue to do your best. If there are specific needs that we can help with, please let us know. We are all in this together and we will all get through this together.
Chris Peterson, Scott Fritz, Heather Zizis, Jason Cole, and Tracy Bandt